Wednesday, March 10, 2010

World's Best Brunch?

My very good friend Krystal, just back from a long weekend in New Orleans with her beau, emailed this morning to tell me about her trip. It was everything you expect from a dreamy weekend: "saw some jazz, went to a museum, took a cemetery tour, walked a lot, and relaxed" plus one delightful superlative: "We ate realllllly good food (including the best brunch I have EVER had)"

The spot was Dante's. From Krystal: You take the St. Charles streetcar all the way to the end. It was delicious - we had the best iced coffee, biscuits, and shrimp and grits. Now, if I can just get to New Orleans!

I'm a long-time fan of brunch, especially the under-$20 sort that starts around 1 p.m. and includes endless champagne. In New York, our friend Meg would coordinate a group most every Sunday for hours of boozing over frittata and French toast. I used to keep a list of her favorite spots, but (dang!) I lost it. (Meg, an update, please!).

In Dallas, I've done brunch at Breadwinners (wesome upper level patio; super-savory eats; baskets of fresh-baked goodies; slightly overpriced drinks) and Nick & Sam's Grill (reasonably priced entrees; $6 bottomless blood orange mimosas). In San Antonio I experienced the most beautiful and most decadent brunch buffet I've ever witnessed at the Omni La Mansion Del Rio. Seriously, I have never seen so much food. You'd think overflowing bounty would translate to poorly prepared fare. Au contraire. It's some of the best fare I've tasted, and the spread goes way beyond typical brunch fare (eyeball the menu here.) The champers is unlimited, and, yes, it's the good stuff!

Friends here and afar, what's your favorite brunch spot?

1 comment: