Thursday, December 3, 2009

I'm DIY'ing

A combination of joblessness and cold weather that's keeping me inside has sparked the DIY bulb in my brain. Earlier this week, I made made pickles! Now, I cannot vouch for their success until eight weeks from now when I pop the top, but here's how I did it (tweaked from Allrecipes.com). You can buy all the ingredients at Whole Foods (or, if you're in Dallas, Central Market). I bought the jars at Sur La Table.

Ingredients
  • 4 pounds pickling cucumbers (also called kirbys)
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/3 cup pickling salt
  • 8 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
  • 12 sprigs fresh dill weed
Directions
  1. Cut off the flower end of each cucumber (it's the little brown spot on the end).
  2. Soak cucumbers in a big bowl of ice water for at least 2 hours.
  3. Sterilize 4 (1 quart) canning jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes.
  4. Bring vinegar, water, and pickling salt to a boil.
  5. Place 2 half-cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of dill in the bottom of each jar, then fill with cucumbers. Add 2 more garlic halves and 1 sprig of dill, then fill jars with hot brine and put the lids on.
  6. Place each sealed jar in a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes.
  7. Remove and set on the counter for at least 8 weeks before eating. Refrigerate after opening.




No comments:

Post a Comment